Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Decadent Breakfast

Project: Cranberry Scones with a Skosh of Cloves (Café Nervosa: The Connoisseur’s Cookbook)

Breakfast is always a challenge for me. I’m not good at waking up on time. As a result, breakfast must be no more than a two-step process. And I get sick of cereal & milk pretty quickly. This cookbook is filled with coffee shop-appropriate treats. As a result, breakfast this week was neither filling, nor healthy.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
whipped cream (optional)

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; cu in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.

3percent 045

Believe it or not, I ground those cloves myself. Time consuming. Calorie-burning?

Reserve 1 tbsp whipping cream’ add remaining whipping cream and cranberries to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.

3percent 046 Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5 or 6 times. Shape into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Prick wedges with a fork 3 or 4 times, and brush with reserved 1 tbsp whipping cream.

3percent 047 Bake at 425F for 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm with shipped cream, if desired. Yield: 8 scones.

3percent 061

If I’m truthful, I did DESIRE whipped cream on top. But since this was breakfast, I begrudgingly abstained. Curses.

No comments:

Post a Comment