Thursday, August 25, 2011

Rock & Roll?

I don't play the guitar...though I really wish I did. It's been a long-standing resolution of mine to learn. And it's been a long-standing habit of mine never to learn. My Dad lent me his old Epiphone when he bought a new one and it's mainly been leaning against my wall ever since. Getting it off the floor has always been a challenge. Until, I saw this: http://rootsandwingsco.blogspot.com/2011/04/rock-and-roll-home-decor-vinyl-record.html



I thought finding records would be difficult. My first thought was to go to Amazon and order a cheap-as-dirt vinyl record. After I paid $7 plus shipping for a brand-spanking new piece of vinyl, I discovered that old-piece-of-shit vinyl was available at my local thrift store for $0.25 a piece. Bugger. Though, as luck would have it, even brand-spanking new vinyl is hard to come by. Though Amazon said it was available, a few days after I ordered it, for some reason it couldn't be shipped. A day later I was skipping and whistling to the Sally Ann to buy 4 records for less than the price of one. And, they were old crappy records that I didn't mind destroying.



So, I started with this:






After several more minutes in the oven than the source blog led me to believe and several more degrees of heat on the dial than was originally suggested, I ended up with my very own guitar hanger. Not as pretty as the original, but just as functional. The one thing that was left out was the fact that the back of the record has to sit flush on a flat surface as the edges are pulled up around the neck of the guitar. Otherwise, it won't sit nicely on the wall. My first attempt fit nicely on the guitar, but would not reliably hold the guitar up when it was nailed to the wall.



And after MANY attempts, this was the result:




And now my cat has one more thing to knock over. The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment