Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Friends Don't Give Friends Chickpea Bruschetta

Dish #1: Chickpeas and Balsamic Vinegar Bruschetta (provenance unknown)

So, I have a few friends that I haven't had the chance to visit with in quite some time. After many repetitions of things like, "Hey...we should get together..." and "Uh...has my boyfriend left his jacket in your closet for the WHOLE SUMMER?" we finally decided on a date and time.

Because my friend has a small monkey (read: child), I thought I would be a good guest and bring a delicious appetizer. It so happened that I had a recipe for what looked like a delightful pre-dinner snack: Chickpeas and Balsamic Vinegar Bruschetta.

Before:

In a medium bowl, combine one 15-oz can chickpeas (drained, rinsed, and roughly chopped), 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (roughly chopped), 1 clove garlic (finely chopped), 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Spread on toasted baguette rounds.

Now, I didn't have time to toast baguette rounds myself, so I bought 'em. And it's hard to chop chickpeas manually...so I did it in a food processor. And the result was, I thought, pretty tasty.


Ok...it was a littly salty, and a little parsley heavy. And I believe I made enough to feed the standing army of a small country. So, wanting to save room for what was arguably "the main event," we each politely had two or three slices of bruschetta and that was that. I ended up throwing most of it out, truth be told. Might be good for a party, though. If do a "Chickpeas, yea or nay?" poll ahead of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment