Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I Hate My Slow Cooker

Dish #1: Italian Chicken and Pasta (Better Homes and Gardens Slow Cooker Favorites Made Healthy)

I have a tiny slow-cooker. It was given to me as a well-meaning Christmas gift and I was pleased to receive it at the time. But it really only holds 2-3 servings of anything. Most of the time, I really want my slow-cooker to make things easy TONIGHT and FOR MANY NIGHTS TO COME. Ultimately: it's pretty dinky.

So, I forgot to get groceries to fill the cooker up in the morning, meaning it didn't even make things easy TONIGHT since I had to race around the grocery store, dump everything in the cooker and hope for the best AT LUNCH, leaving me 0.2 milliseconds to eat my actual lunch that day. Blargh. Before:

1 9-oz package frozen Italian-style green beans
1 cup fresh mushrooms, quartered
1 small onion, cut into 1/4" thick pieces
12 oz skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
1 14 1/2-oz can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 6-oz can Italian-style tomato paste
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning, crushed
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz dried fettuccine, cooked and drained
3 tbsp finely shredded or grated Parmesan cheese

1. In a 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker combine green beans, mushrooms, and onion. Place chicken on vegetables.
2. In a small bowl combine undrained toamtoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and garlic. Pour over chicken.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Serve over fettuccine. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

So, turns out small-town Northern Ontario doesn't have a. Italian-style green beans or "Italian-style tomato paste." And I've only just now realized that I used 12 chicken thighs instead of 12 ounces of chicken thighs. Sigh. Finally, I used pureed tomato instead of stewed tomato because I'd already opened a can. It turned out fine that way.


Today's important lesson learned: my blackberry camera makes grated parm look like slime vomit. Yes. It's a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment