Friday, January 13, 2012

Adventures in Breakfast

Fennel Fig & Almond Bread (The Modern Baker)

Breakfast, though the most important meal of the day, is always a challenge for me. Always. I am not a morning person. As a result, I need something with minimal prep time to stuff in my mouth as I’m checking my email and forgetting to take my vitamins.

I’d been coveting Nick Malgieri’s Modern Baker ever since I saw it at my local bookshop. Finally I just bit the bullet, spent the 40 bucks and bought it. After reading all the baking tips and tricks from cover to cover on a later summer afternoon, I didn’t actually get to baking anything from it until recently. A loaf containing protein (almonds), fruit (figs) and complex carbs (loaf) seemed like a perfect breakfast.

2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon flour into a dry-measure cup and level off)
tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
6 tbsp (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups stemmed and diced white or black dried figs
1 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted

3percent 069

1. Set a rack in the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350F.

2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and fennel seeds in a medium bowl and stir well to mix.

3percent 066

3. In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth, then beat in the sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.3percent 067

4. Beat 1/2 the flour mixture into the butter and egg mixture, then gently beat in the milk, about 1/3 at a time. Beat in he remaining flour mixture. Use a large rubber spatula to fold in the figs and almonds.3percent 068

5. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake the bread until it is well risen and a toothpick or a narrow-bladed knife inserted into the center of the bread emerges clean, about 1 hour.3percent 070

6. Cool the bread in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then unmold it and cool it completely on a rack. Transfer the bread to a platter or cutting board before serving.

Makes 12 to 16 slices.

3percent 071 Verdict: Weirdly tasty. The fennel and the figs together make this taste kind of savoury – which is a strange thing to wake up to when you’re biting into a fruit loaf. Huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment