Thursday, May 16, 2013

Star Scarf

 

My best friend has the best maiden name.  And though she admitted she would take her sweet, sweet time changing from maiden name to married name, this year’s birthday present was designed to celebrate her maiden name, and keep her neck and shoulders warm at the same time.

I got the idea over at Lana Red.

First, I bought a swanky pashmina on Etsy.  It came from India.  Or Singapore.  Not sure.  I think I was supporting an international artisan and not a Bangladeshi sweatshop, though, so that feels good-ish.

Then I had to make my fabric stamp.  Out of an eraser.  Without special stamp cutting knives.  Scissors it was. 

other3percent 074

Bang up job.  Man, you can really see the cat hair at this magnitude.

Because the eraser I used was teeny-tiny once cut into awesome asymmatrical star-shape, I used my most awesome sewing scissors as a stamp-handle. 

other3percent 075

Then I stamped the pashmina liberally and randomly with the purple-fabric-dye-covered star stamps.

other3percent 076

Following this, I had a tiny meltdown regarding the colour combination and visibility of the star-stamps.  Had I bought special fabric stamp paint for NOTHING??!?!

Then I tried the scarf on for size: 

other3percent 078

So, from afar, the stars are totally not visible.  Hopefully, up close, my friend knows they’re there.  If not, this blog will serve a dual purpose: to make me feel as though I’m an artistic voice in the wilderness, and to let her know that I didn’t just send her a stupid yellow pashmina but a stupid yellow pashmina with invisible purple star stamps.

Hurray!  Happy Birthday, friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment