Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A brief explanation

I've been trying to move on from my brief departure from my usual crafting adventures, but I feel that before I do that I must offer some explanation.

I named this blog The Other Three Percent.  I'm sure that at least a few people can guess where that phrase comes from, but for those who cannot, here's the story.  I should note that this is a consolidated account of several events, but here goes anyway.

I was kind of a smartypants growing up.  I followed instructions and did well at just about everything school threw at me.  One day I came home from school with a test I was super-duper proud of.  I got a 97%.  I showed it to my parents.  My father's first reaction was "What happened to the other three percent?"

Now, my father has since explained to me that he was joking.  Sadly, my 11-year-old self internalized some of that question and now I'm always asking myself where the heck the other three percent went.  Because, you know...to lose those three points is a huge tragedy.  Never mind that I have ninety-seven of them in my loot bag already.

I'm not sure what the other three percent really is.  That little bit of not working so hard that everyone needs in their life?  The part of yourself that isn't academic pursuits?  Something I think I lost somewhere?

I think it's the things I do that make me proud of myself - that make up the difference in my shortcomings and make me add up to 100% - which is what I've always expected of myself.

We will soon return to our regularly scheduled programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment