Friday, May 22, 2020

A Life Less Automaton

I used to take a picture of my outfit every morning and post it to Instagram.

I'm not an influencer and it's definitely not one of my aspirations.  I like the likes.  Feedback is nice.  But I was using Instagram for the same reasons that Insta's owners want us to use it.  I was gathering data.  I was using the likes to determine what items were not going to make the cut during my quarterly closet purge.  I can't be bothered anymore.  I still get dressed every day in real clothes, but only my husband ever sees them so now the only thing that makes the cut is what makes me feel uncomfortable when I'm sitting at my desk for hours on end.

I used to set an intention for the day. 

I would use oracle cards and an astrology app.  I would post that on Instagram, too.  Not because I'm looking to be a spiritual leader to the masses.  I would put it there because it's a less wasteful thing to do than write it down in a notebook.  But my intention for every day is the same now: Don't let every day be the same.

When this started, I admit that I was reveling in my ability to go through the motions of every day without interruption.  I am a person who thrives on ritual.  But without something out of the ordinary to look forward to, the ritual becomes automation.  I'm not reveling anymore.  Mostly I'm just weary and I don't see the point of maintaining my rituals and routines if there's nothing to break them up.

I recognize that this line of argument is veering into "open things up so I can get a haircut" territory.  That's not where I'm going with this.  Though I would love to spend an afternoon having the hair ripped from my legs so I look less like a sasquatch, I know that I can't.  I understand the value of having my movements restricted - or of restricting my movements if nobody else will, for that matter (looking at you, economy-minded politicians) - for the greater good.  What I am learning is that I need to become more ingenious about how I shake up my routine so I don't become a robot.

No comments:

Post a Comment