Monday, November 7, 2011

Is it still too late for BRAINS?

It’s not often that I attempt food sculpture. My boyfriend’s mother’s birthday-cake-decorating-hottest-day-of-summer fiasco turned me off of that for a while. Then I saw these awesome creations.

I had to try them.

I was, at first, hesitant to make cupcakes with (gasp!) a mix, but I thought about how much time I was going to have to spend on the rest of the whole arrangement and caved. Dr. Oetker to the rescue. As a result, the cupcake batter part went pretty predictably.

3percent 033

3percent 034

3percent 039

As things were baking, I had to get my craft on, though.

Problem #1: Those cool zombie hands? They weren’t at my local…anywhere. Time to improvise! Found these at my local gigantic multi-national neighbourhood corporation.

3percent 036 Please ignore the copious amounts of cat hair on my futon. It’s as though it’s taken on a life of its own. So…these are finger puppets. On which I performed some careful surgery.

3percent 037

And then I painted them. With food colour gel. Mistake #1.

3percent 038 There are still red splotches on my office table.

Next: My printer’s not hooked up and I don’t have an awesome colour printer. More time to improvise. And justify spending on craft supplies I’ll use perhaps once per year.

3percent 040

Yup. Expensive glitter paper. Cut into headstones. Glued together. Written on with expensive craft pen.

Voilà!

3percent 041 And finally, my favourite part! Frosting!

I don’t know of a reliable source for food colour gel in town (which is a shame ‘cuz I just wasted a bunch painting detached finger-puppet arms), so I’ve been mixing primary colours…with unpredictable success.

3percent 042

This is kind of baby poop green. Therefore, it is perfect. See?

3percent 045

And then, all I had to do was assemble!

3percent 046

1. Add dirt.

3percent 047

2. Add zombie arms and headstones. Choose three nicest ones. Eat all the crappy-looking ones. Photograph nice ones for blog. Eat the nice ones.

Done and done. Yeah, I’m a little late for Halloween, but I swear I’ve FELT like a zombie all week, so at least it fits SOME KIND of theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment