Wednesday, October 4, 2017

In the Immortal Words of Whitesnake...


I joined another band.
I was elected to the roller derby league executive.
I watched a semi-professional production of Rock of Ages and I'm feeling the kicky-chorus-member/cranky-pit-band-member itch.  Also, I'm humming Whitesnake more frequently than usual (how usual is usual in this case?).


Here I Go Again.

I've been here before, and the knee-jerk reaction is to think to myself that I'm super predictable.

Someone wants me to make up harmonies and sing back-up in their rock band? I'm there.
Someone thinks I'm a responsible, even-handed person with reasonable critical thinking skills?  Yes, I will serve on your board of directors!
Watching some broad play the piano in a fun musical production and knowing I could kick her ass at a game of "Who sight-read it better?" while simultaneously knowing that I will never volunteer and will wait to be asked which will never happen and I'll feel wistful about what might have been forever?  That's me.

But then a tiny part of me that should maybe be a bit louder is saying that maybe I find myself here because of key parts of my personality.  And maybe that's not a bad thing.

Yes, I do have a good ear and a pretty ok voice.
Yes, I am a pretty even-handed person, with good critical thinking skills, who is good at setting aside her own feelings and seeing the big picture or playing the long game.
Yes, I am a pretty damn good piano player and also a really dedicated worker and I can learn three hours worth of pretty complicated music and play through the shoulder and back pain.
Yes, I am not as humble as I like to seem, but I do feign humility because I was taught from a young age that to blow my own trumpet was unbecoming.

But wait.

Why do I own a trumpet?

Maybe if I actually practised blowing it a bit I might become a reasonably good trumpeter.

(True story: I actually do own a trumpet, and I am learning [relearning - I did play in high school] how to blow it, but I think you get I'm being metaphorical here).

You get what I'm saying.  And if it IS the only road I've ever known, maybe I should just keep on truckin' (she said, mixing her music references).

New Things I've Done: I got engaged!  Hurray!

Weird Things That Have Happened To Me: I got engaged?  I will admit that I was starting to think that the universe just didn't have it in store for me.

Resolutions: Blow trumpets that belong to me!  No, seriously - I should just do the things I'm good at more and let more people know about them.  Because I actually really enjoy positive feedback.






1 comment:

  1. Great post! That is the Morag I know and love. Keep on kicking ass!

    ReplyDelete